Team concludes recovery operations of Stalker 22 in the Mediterranean Sea

A decision was made yesterday to conclude the recovery operation of the crashed Royal Canadian Air Force CH-148 Cyclone helicopter that went down on April 29th in the Mediterranean Sea. A statement from RAdm Craig Baines, Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic states that a team comprising of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and the United States Navy (USN) members was involved in the recovery operation starting on May 25th. After eight days of combing the crash site, they located the helicopter, some remains of six CAF members, and multiple pieces of the aircraft. 

‘While we were able to recover remains of some of our fallen, it is important to note that we have not identified these remains and it is unknown at this time whether we have found everyone,” the statement states. “This will only be completed once the remains have been brought to Toronto where any positive identification, as well as confirmation of the number of personnel found, will be done using scientific methods by a Forensic Pathologist. Once this is complete, the identities of the remains will be released to the families and then the public.”

Here is a summary of the recovery operation: 

Canadian Armed Forces members and EDT Hercules personnel inspect recovered parts of Stalker 22 during recovery operations for the aircraft in the Mediterranean Sea on 31 May 2020. Photo: Cdr Robert Watt

“Given that we had very accurate data on where the helicopter entered the water, we did not have to rely on the underwater locator beacon, and would have only rigged the detection system to the ROV if we had difficulty locating the helicopter,” the statement continues. “Given that we discovered it so quickly, it did not end-up being required and we cannot confirm if it was still emitting a signal.”

“Unfortunately, no portion of the main cabin was left intact following the crash, including the external cockpit structure. The largest piece at the wreckage site was the rear deck/ramp area of the helicopter and the next largest intact piece was the tail pylon and tail rotor blades.”

The recovery team is onboard EDT Hercules en route to Augusta Bay, Italy. Upon arrival, the remains will be prepared to transport back to Canada. 

Related posts

Introducing the ‘Captain Nichola Goddard Game Changer Award’

Marcello Sukhdeo
November 8, 2016

A Defsec dip and a dive into drones

Stewart Downing
October 21, 2016

The latest developments in simulation-based training

Stewart Downing
August 18, 2016
Exit mobile version