Vanguard
Air

Liberals to consult jet companies anew on CF-18 replacement

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the government will conduct another round of consultation with defence industry companies regarding its search for a replacement to Air Force’s fleet of CF-18 fighter planes.

Sajjan told industry representatives that only half of the Air Force’s CF-18 fleet can be mobilized at any given time, according to a report by the Canadian Press.

The defence chief also warned that currently, Canada cannot meet its North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and North American defence commitments with the existing fighter fleet of the Air Force.

RELATED CONTENT

F-35 not excluded from jet replacement competition

The military needs new fighter jets now – Sajjan 

Industry representatives and the previous Conservative government held a round of consultation meetings several years ago.

An aircraft technician performs a pre-flight check on a CF-188 Hornet in Qatar.
An aircraft technician performs a pre-flight check on a CF-18 Hornet in Qatar.

Results of the meetings favoured Lockheed Martin’s fifth-generation F-35 stealth aircraft.

During last year’s election campaign, the Liberals promised they would not purchase the F-35.

However, since coming to power, the Liberals had shifted their position. In December, Sajjan said the F-35 will not be cut off from any upcoming competition for replacements for Canada’s aging CF-18 jets.

Read the latest issue of the Vanguard Magazine, click on the image below:

Related posts

Thales successfully trials COMMANDER 3

Marcello Sukhdeo
October 10, 2014

Game Changer: John Newton, Managing Director, Fleetway Inc. and Oceanic Consulting Corp.

Marcello Sukhdeo
August 9, 2019

Identify, assess, and mitigate cyber-associated threats

Marcello Sukhdeo
January 16, 2019
Exit mobile version