Last Friday, General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, announced some staff moves and promotions within the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) as a result of the resignation of Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk. LGen Wynnyk was serving in the capacity of Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS), relieving Vice-Admiral Mark Norman who was suspended from his post as VCDS on January 16, 2017, after being accused of releasing sensitive government information, which potentially constituted a breach of trust. He was charged with Breach of Trust, but that charge was stayed on May 8, 2019, as there was no reasonable chance of conviction, thus paving the way for his return to his old job.
But a joint statement from DND and VAdm Norman on June 26 stated that they have reached a “mutually acceptable agreement, the details of which will remain confidential” resulting in VAdm Norman leaving the CAF. Since this leaves the VCDS position vacant, LGen Wynnyk was asked to continue in the position but decided against it. His retirement paves the way for the appointment of the Commander of the Canadian Army, LGen Lanthier, to the post of VCDS, which resulted in the following moves.
- Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre will be appointed Commander Canadian Army, replacing Lieutenant-General J.M. Lanthier.
- Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson will be promoted to the rank of Vice-Admiral and will be appointed Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Lieutenant-General W.D. Eyre.
- Major-General S.J.R. Whelan will be appointed Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command, replacing Rear-Admiral H.C. Edmundson.
- Brigadier-General J.R.M. Gagne will be promoted to Major-General and will be appointed Chief Military Personnel Strategic Programs, replacing Major-General S.J.R. Whelan.
- Colonel F.G. Carpentier will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed as Commander 2 Canadian Division and Joint Task Force (East), in Montreal QC, replacing Brigadier-General M.A.J. Carignan.